The Scrubs Are Done!


I'm feeling quite proud of myself! Not because I've done perfect work, but because I've done something that genuinely helps. :)

I've made nine sets of scrubs and two extra pairs of scrubs trousers. "Why?" you ask? Well, because I thought I'd somehow not cut out all the trousers and had to cut some more, and then when I'd finished, I found that the fairies had been and I had 9 sets and extra trousers. The group doesn't need any more making after this round, so I will move onto the next project.

Things I Had Changed by the Time I'd Finished and Why

Processes get refined as you go along. These are some of the changes I made:
  1. Double-sewing seams --> Just 4-thread overlocking. 
    • There was no need to double-sew.
    • This way is quicker.
    • I fixed my overlocker so it sews better now anyway.
  2. Cutting out with scissors --> Rotary Cutter and Mat
    • Why did I wait so long to replace my blade?! This is so much quicker and easier and more accurate! I wish I had a huge cutting table made of cutting mat!
  3. Pockets' positioning raised. 
    • I forgot to mark the dots and the ones I did mark had worn off by the time I got to them.
  4. Added side seams to the trousers for fabric efficiency.
    • The one-piece pattern used a lot of fabric (even though I used the negative space for facings and stuff) and wouldn't fit on my kitchen counter/cutting table.
  5. Pieced several pieces: several tops and the neckline facings
    • Again, to save fabric.

Slightly Unrelated Things I've Learned During This Project

  1. How to fix my overlocker's timing
  2. How to replace the upper looper
  3. The importance of the pin on the throat plate between the needles (makes a much nicer stitch)
  4. Make lists with minute detail
  5. How to use the differential feed to stretch or ease the fabric
  6. Setting sleeves with no more than 2 pins by easing the sleeve in against the feed-dogs with your left hand. (The hard bit is not over-easing it.)
  7. Sewing a French seam is a lot quicker if you use a 1 cm seam allowances, sewing at 3 mm in the first pass and 7 mm in the second. You don't even need to press in between if you use your fingers between the layers as you sew.

Things I Want to Learn or Try

  1. How to deal with stressful, tightly timed situations.
  2. Jobs that don't involve the above situations.
  3. Fusible Tape
All with sizes pinned on so that I don't get them mixed up again. They do have sizes stitched on as well, but they're harder to see from a distance.

One of the only times I have a genuine need for the alphabet on my Bernina B380.
FTLOS (For The Love Of Scrubs) and the size (XL)
We'll take them to the drop-off point on Wednesday (because that's when it's there) along with the scrubs caps.

I don't feel like I've made a huge contribution. There are people who've made tons more than I have. But I do feel that I'm helping and I'm glad of that. :)

Comments