Project 1: Jersey nightie


The first thing on the list is a t-shirt. Or a slight variation of.



Features needed:
  • neat neckline binding
  • Reinforced shoulder seams (possibly with clear elastic, if I can figure out how to get my machines to cooperate with it!)
  • V-neck
  • Raglan sleeves
  • Ribbed sleeve hem or fluted/rolled sleeve hem
  • Machine embroidery (stabilised)
  • Cover-stitched hem
What garment are you basing this on?
My current nighties (which are old and essentially rags). They say size 12 on the tags and measure 98cm at the bust. A size 12 bust is 92cm, while a size 10 is 88cm, so this is a size 11 (13 by Aldrich’s measures).
Pattern notes
Looking in Metric Pattern Cutting for Womenswear, page 150, 5th Ed., there are three basic blocks this could be made from. I think the second, “The Easy Fitting Block for Jersey Wear” will be the most appropriate guide. It has 8cm total bust ease, and I feel that my nightie could lose about 12-16cm and still be comfortable. That would take it to 1-5cm bust ease, which is fine for daywear (in a knit fabric), but for sleepwear, I’d prefer a bit more room. Thus choosing the 8cm ease block.
I will, of course, draft it to have asymmetric armsyces and sleeves.
I had to decide whether to trace the original nightie, draft a t-shirt block, or adapt my already fitted dress block to size. I’m going with the latter as so much will have to be done to a traced pattern anyway. More on the pattern adaption in the next post.
Garments to study
  1. My nighties. Very basic quality.
  2. Dom’s (housemate) Superdry T-shirt. Good quality with some features I want to use. Mainly the neckline binding. (Side note: I traced his t-shirt to make a copy and I'm impressed with the sleeve pattern: it's actually a good shape! It's scooped at the front and shallowly curved at the back.)
Fabric choices
I will look for some good quality jersey fabrics, but first look in my stash to use it up. I'll probably have to buy some because I don't want a black nightie.
Testing
I am going to make samples of techniques I’m not confident with, such as reinforced shoulder seams. This is to save money, as I can do it with scraps.
Other notes
Pockets?

Resources
I've set up a Pinterest Board for this project: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/sabrinacwb/project-rtw/ . Much of my information that I've gleaned lately has come from the YouTube channel "SEWING" (links on the pins). I'm going to have to adapt some of the methods because I don't have the same equipment and I am not spending £200 a piece on binding attachments for my Bernina.


Next?
The next thing is to draft it (done, but not written about or tested).

Comments